Rhode Island Logo


Inspection Services With an Added Bonus: An Interview with LA Home Inspections

By Kristen Bosse

Please describe a little bit about your company and the services you offer.

The name of my company is LA Home Inspections. I provide FHA 203(k) Mortgage Consultant Services and Professional Home Inspections. I am the owner of LA Home Inspections.

What does the HUD/FHA 203(K) Mortgage have to do with home inspections?

The FHA 203(k) mortgage program allows a borrower to purchase or refinance a home and include the cost of repairs or remodeling into the loan. The FHA 203(k) loan is a very versatile loan and the property does not have to be in need of repairs to qualify for the FHA 203(k) loan. It can be used to build an addition, add a bath, finish a basement, or to make other improvements to the home.

There are two different FHA 203k programs. The streamline FHA 203(k) program covers repairs up to $35,000.00 and does not require a consultant like myself to get involved but a lender in some cases may require a FHA 203(k) consultant. When repairs are over $35,000.00 the borrower is required to hire a FHA 203(k) consultant. As a certified FHA 203(k) consultant I inspect the property for FHA compliance to identify required repairs, review the contractor cost estimates for reasonability and I inspect for release of funds when work is complete. In Rhode Island for over the past twenty years my company L.A. Home Inspections working with numerous lenders has provided FHA 203(k) consultant services for the majority of the FHA 203(k) loans. There is a lot of information and misinformation regarding the FHA 203(k) program. There is good reason for confusion, reason being is that HUD/FHA has their rules regarding the FHA 203(k) program and banks can add additional requirements if they so wish to and they do. They are called overlays in the banking industry. Different lenders can have different requirements regarding the FHA 203(k) program. I am always available to answer any question about the FHA 203(k) program.

What does your basic home inspection package include? ie. Wood destroying insect inspection? Additional units? Etc.

I wear two hats, I am a professional home inspector and I am also a HUD/FHA certified 203(k) Architectural Consultant. I provide professional home inspection services and offer additional services such as termite and wood destroying insects, radon and septic inspections. My inspection for compliance for the FHA 203(k) program is not a substitute for a professional home inspection. Some of my FHA 203(k) clients also hire me to perform a professional home inspection, or they may hire someone else to perform the professional home inspection or elect not to do a professional home inspection. I believe that it is important for the client to be present at all inspections when possible.

Do you have any certifications?

The state of Rhode Island has no Home Inspector licensing requirements. I am a certified member of ASHI (American Society Of Home Inspectors), a MA Licensed Home Inspector, a certified HUD/FHA 203(k) Architectural Consultant and a Certified HUD/FHA Fee Inspector. I am happy to answer any questions and I can be reached at my office at 401-739-1155 or by email at hud203k@aol.com.

Share this:


Leave a comment:

* Login in order to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join for Free

Ashwin Kumar

Many of the user of windows 10 operating system don't know how to add or remove their cookies https://deletecookieswindows10.com/ so am sharing this.


About The Author

Kristen has written impressive content including press releases and feature stories...

Phone: (203) 913-0483

View Profile

Become an Expert Contributor

Have some knowledge to share, and want easy and effective exposure to our audience? Get your articles or guides featured on Rhode Island Homes today! Learn more about being an expert contributor.

Learn More